HALO will keep you informed on ethical healthcare issues.
- WHY I BECAME AN ELDER ADVOCATE - WHY I BECAME AN ELDER ADVOCATE By Marsha Joiner – Talk Show Host, Betrayed by Hospice February 2021 Many of us blindly trust doctors and nurses. However, believing everything healthcare providers tell us regarding the care of vulnerable patients, especially the elderly, can result in an unimaginable death toll. Marsha Joiner painfully describes what happened […]
- DYING FOR DOLLARS - February 2021 In the article, “End-of-Life Care Rife with Fraud,” the authors, Kim Christensen and Ben Poston, describe a hospice system that is beset with greed. The concept of hospice care started gaining traction in the mid-1970’s, but it wasn’t until 1983 that hospice really started thriving. In 1983, Medicare had announced they would begin […]
- UPDATE ON BABY TINSLEE—HUGE U.S. SUPREME COURT WIN! - January 2021 As we have previously reported, Baby Tinslee’s fight for life started in November 2019 when a Texas hospital moved to end her life against her mother’s wishes under the deadly Texas 10-Day Rule*. Since then, a fierce court battle has been waged, with Baby Tinslee’s mother on one side and Cook Children’s Medical […]
- PALLIATIVE CARE AND HOSPICE - By Julie Grimstad, Board President When a healthcare provider recommends palliative care or hospice, patients and their families need guidance so they can make the best life-affirming decisions possible in their circumstances. The Healthcare Advocacy and Leadership Organization (HALO) advises people to do their homework before electing a palliative care or hospice program. One place […]
- A REAL AND PRESENT DANGER: MEDICAL DISCRIMINATION - A REAL AND PRESENT DANGER: MEDICAL DISCRIMINATION By M.A., Medical TechnicianJuly 2020It was a shocking experience. Sue was in her early 70’s. She ate each meal. When she began stumbling in the dining room, the management said, “We need to get hospice to talk to the family.” The hospice staff convinced Sue’s family that she […]
- The Earth-Shattering Shift in Medical Ethics - The new bioethics divides human beings into two categories: the “wanted” and the “unwanted.” Like their brothers and sisters who are aborted at the beginning of their lives, the chronically or terminally ill, disabled, and elderly are in danger of being killed simply because it is inconvenient and/or costly to care for them. https://www.halovoice.org/pdf/HALO_The-Earth-Shattering-Shift-in-Medical-Ethics.pdf When […]
- LIFE-AFFIRMING ADVANCE DIRECTIVES FOR HEALTHCARE - LIFE-AFFIRMING ADVANCE DIRECTIVES FOR HEALTHCARE June 2020 HALO collaborates with many organizations to provide those who trust us with the best life-affirming information, services, and products available. There are several life-affirming advance directives for healthcare that HALO has vetted and approved, including our own LAMP (Life-Affirming Medical Proxy) document, the Patients Rights Council’s PMDD (Protective […]
- Who is Dr. Ira Byock? - Ira Byock, MD, is one of the most anti-pro-life hospice and palliative care physicians in the country, this fact sheet explains why. https://www.halovoice.org/pdf/Who-is-Dr-Ira-Byock.pdf Pushing stealth euthanasia cannot be made acceptable by opposing the legalization of assisted suicide!
- WHY AND HOW TO REFUSE TO BE AN ORGAN DONOR - The Uniform Anatomical Gift Act was revised in 2006 and most states have adopted it. Everyone who has not explicitly refused to be an organ donor is now considered a “prospective donor.” This means that, if you are “at or near death,” your hospital must notify an Organ Procurement Organization (OPO). While the OPO searches […]
- Vulnerabilities in Hospice Care - The Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) monitors the care provided by hospice programs. OIG reports that some Medicare beneficiaries were seriously harmed when hospices provided poor care or failed to take action in cases of abuse. Get more details here.If you have any concerns about hospice care that a […]
Articles on Patient Advocacy:
Patient advocates put compassion into action
Patient advocates help provide essential care to vulnerable patients